Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lying and Trying

Lying is kind of a funny thing.  I learned recently that anywhere from 20-30% of daily conversation is actually a lie.  For the most part, the lie is ambivalent - typically to save someone from hurt feelings.  But otherwise the lie can be to protect your own self and feelings.

Personally, I've found that I have to lie about my eagerness to have a child.  I know this is kind of silly, but I don't want anyone to KNOW I'm trying.  That is seriously letting people into my life in an area that certainly is no one's business other than me and my husband.  While certain people (family) are more apt to know details sooner (if we get pregnant, my plan is to not tell family until after seeing the baby's heartbeat on an ultrasound, and the typically 1st trimester wait for everyone else).  But until then, if anyone even catches wind that you're interested in having a baby - well that's when the questions really start to get personal.

Ugh, lying is a problem... especially because I know I have a few trips I want to take.  For instance, in March we're going to Seattle.  Now that may be the first month we're actually trying and according to my handy dandy app, it's in the special grace period where you're not showing any obvious symptoms (ie, before I'd be "late").  By like 1 damn day.  How do I keep THAT a secret?  If I can't drink when I'm with my brother and husband in Seattle over a weekend when they're BOTH celebrating a birthday? 

The best I can say is that I'll be as healthy as possible.  Perhaps I need a few excuses to throw in my pocket.  But I think I'm in that stage of marriage where I'm under a microscope.  I don't see my younger sister in law getting to that point yet - mostly because I've heard from her that her parents want kids but she'll leave that up to us. 

That brings me to another point.  This will be the first grandchild (you know, pending the SIL doesn't get pregnant before me) for my in laws.  How adorable is that?  I can't tell who I'll be more excited to tell, my own mother or my MIL.  Either way - it's hard keeping family in the dark.  I mean, in the end you're creating a whole person and that's kind of huge news to share.  Even when you're just in the pre-planning process.

On a similar note - the other day I was at Target, and I wondered past the baby clothes as I often do (not by accident).  I noticed a crap ton of clearance and it took every morsel of strength in my body to not by a cute as a button onesie.  There was one that had the "Vegas" sign and the words "What happens at Grandma stays at Grandmas".  It was so tiny!!!

And will I ever get over the cute footie pajamas?  Or the cute little towels with the hair/headpiece that looks like a little yellow duck. 

Heaven help me if I see tiny socks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You is kind. You is smart. And you is important.