Some of my family and friends need a wake up call. They either think I'm naïve or just incredibly stupid.
I have been preparing for this child for more than 9 months, I have essentially been pregnant now for nearly 15 months if you add up my loss/recovery from my D&C. I have felt a pain worse than most people can even imagine yet some people think that it's ok to do this:
You're in a public place, perhaps a restaurant or shopping. You hear a small child crying or a young toddler throwing a fit. The know-it-all friend/family member looks at you and snidely points out, "That is your future." (in an "it sucks to be you" kind of way)
Thanks for the observation, captain obvious! I had no idea that kids cry in public. In fact, I've gone my entire life without ever hearing a child cry or throw a tantrum. Thanks for pointing out that fact that my child will be hard to raise because I had no idea. No really, thanks for being soooo supportive of my pregnancy and my journey to completely forget the fact that after I had my loss hearing those tantrums actually made me ache for the loss of my child because I KNOW that's evidence of parenthood. I know more than you think.
You know what's not helpful? Telling me that the newborn phase is the worst. Pointing out the fact that kids cry.
I am literally counting down the days until my baby is born and you think THAT is what I should be hearing?
FUCK YOU.
No seriously, fuck you for thinking that I have no idea that parenthood is hard. Fuck you for your lack of faith in my observation skills.
Really, if anything, I need positivity right now. What do you think your words are trying to do? Convince me to not have children? Not that your words would change my mind, but isn't it a little late for that?
Do you not realize that if things had gone the way that I thought they were going to go, I would have a 7 month old by now? Are you trying to make me feel like that loss was somehow a blessing because at least I wouldn't have to deal with a crying child?
I just don't get it. Why do you say these things? What could you possibly have to gain from these little clichés? I'm tired of grinning and pretending that you're funny. You're not funny. You're a douche.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI HATE when people try to do this! I think they think they're just being funny but its clearly not. There have been a few times I've just replied with, I'd take a crying, screaming baby any day over what I've been through these last few years. People usually shut up.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how many times I actually teared up in the grocery store listening to a child throw a tantrum over the last 4 years, and begging and pleading with God for the day when I would be able to experience that, the embarrassment and frustration. It's a part of being a parent, the bad with the good. I think it's just sad that some parents cannot get past the "bad" and see all the good and then feel the need to "warn" us about how miserable it is. If it's all so miserable then why do people keep reproducing?
I guess if there is anything good that can come out of loss its the simple fact that we don't and we won't take any moment for granted. That's not saying we won't have miserable days but we know the alternative....and even without having ever experienced the raising of a child I can guarantee the alternative is far far worse.
Hang in there! You're so close to meeting your baby boy! And you already know he's going to be the best thing that's ever happened to you, even on the worst days! And a big EFFFF you to everyone else!
Hmm... I have no idea what happened to my other post. Let me try again. We were on TTGP together and I have also followed your blog ( and love reading it by the way ) I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in feeling this way. Even though I have not had a loss or even been pregnant I hear the comments often. What I wouldn't give for a crying newborn or a screaming toddler. Hang in there! You will be meeting your baby boy soon!! {{hugs}}
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting! I'm not glad that other people can relate, but it's nice to not feel like I'm the only one! Do you blog? It'd be great to follow your journey too!
DeleteI just started a blog. Not really sure if it will be a good read. However I figured I would try. :)
ReplyDelete