Monday, February 11, 2013

How to be a kickass parent

 photo coolmom_zpse75fb0d8.gif

I already know a few traditions from my childhood that are definitely coming back for when my LO is born. Most of which are those fun things that involved opening presents on christmas morning - like when santa "forgot" to bring us some presents after we'd already opened everything... or when we'd have a scavenger hunt looking for the BIG present that year!...

But let's just say there are a few things that my parents did that maybe I WON'T continue.

Thinking about it, and continuing in the theme of gift giving... I hereby proclaim that my children will NEVER be subject to a gift of CLOTHES after 2 years of age and until they're at least 14 or 15... You know... when they actually WANT clothes they'll get it - but not before.

For some historical reference, here's an actual clip from my childhood where I taunt my sister who received a gift of clothes for christmas - but she was old enough to want the gift:
Present opening/life ruining presents both my brother and I received not only included clothes... but sometimes UNDERWEAR that we opened in front of EVERYONE... and of course it's customary to SHOW WHAT YOU OPENED to EVERYONE IN THE ROOM... and an elementary school kid does NOT want to show their underwear.

Yes, I still harbor some resentment for these gifts.

What will you do differently as a parent? And what will you do the same?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the clothes thing. My parents never gave me underwear (Thank goodness! How mortifying!) but I always got clothes when it wasn't what I wanted.

    Now shoes on the other hand... ;)

    ReplyDelete

You is kind. You is smart. And you is important.