The tradition of keeping a name a secret until the birth of the child isn't apparently a new one - and for good reason. You don't want to tell your best friend you want to name your daughter something when OH NO that was the name of a girl what was a BITCH in high school to her. And then of course you're subject to listening to a few things this girl did and why it's a terrible thing to name your daughter.
I understand this.
Apparently my parents did too. When my sister was born, my Dad (I think) called my grandma and told her the name of their new baby granddaughter. "Her name is R_____!", he said. I suppose no sooner did he make that comment did my grandma go into detail why they COULDN'T name her this - because so-n-so on a soap opera that she regularly enjoyed was named R_____.
Little did she know that the middle name was going to be HER first name.
My sister's middle name is NOT my grandma's name.
That phone call and the insulting comment regarding the name choice disqualified her for being the middle name.
Well played, mom and dad... well played.
Are you revealing the name of your baby before he/she is born?

Not this time. I think it will be fun to surprise everyone with the name after the birth. While I was pregnant with my son, we made the mistake of telling my in-laws our chosen name for our son and my FIL said "is this negotiable?". I will never forget that and it still pisses me off to this day haha!
ReplyDeleteWe are. We had names picked out during our first pregnancy, announced them during our second, and finally able to use them now!
ReplyDeleteOmg that is so funny! We aren't telling a soul our name. We both love it and I don't want any negative comments making me change my mind.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you told this story today.....reason being I just thought about it a day or 3 ago! HA! However, to add - I was also nameless for 3 days! THREE DAYS!
ReplyDeleteI literally never heard of it til this weekend!
DeleteOh wow...go your parents! Haha. I have sort of told some people but I always kind of just say that we like this name, not that we are set on it. Mostly because I am reserving the right for us to change our mind. So far nobody has said anything negative, luckily! I don't think it would make me change my mind on the name but I guess you never know.
ReplyDeleteyeaaaa - my MIL had a not-so-great initial reaction when we mentioned a boys' name we liked... she stopped giving her opinion, even BEFORE we stopped asking for it!
ReplyDelete