Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Rude Awakening

Well, that seals the deal.

Definitely getting an epidural.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

I woke up with a Charlie Horse this morning. A CHARLIE HORSE. And the pain was unreal.

And no, I don't mean I casually woke up and through the course of events the charlie horse happened... the pain literally shook me from a restful sleep to me panicking and reaching for my husband who had already woken up and was downstairs.

 photo wolvering_zps27f7e7bc.gif
Yeah, this is pretty much how it happened.
Side note: How hot is Hugh Jackman in this scene?

"Baaaaaaaaaby! BAAAAAAAAABY!!!!" I screamed to him.

He runs upstairs, nervous that something worse is going on. Given my screams, I don't blame him for being scared.

In my most pathetic voice ever I push out the words, "I have a charlie horse... WHAT. DO. I. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????"

The pain lasted at least a minute, which doesn't seem like that long, but since the pain was so intense time slowed down. I felt like I was being cut open or something. Terrible pain.

My husband, a physical therapist, told me to flex my feet forward.

More pain ensues. Flexing your foot is not a natural instinct. The pain from flexing made the charlie horse even worse. "Ouchhhhh" I squeak out. My husband just goes, "Yeah, I know... it hurts," in a very calming way.

Shortly after the pain subsided.

And then I got up and got ready for my day. An hour before my alarm normally goes off.

7 comments:

  1. Charlie horses should be done away with by whoever thought it would be a grand idea to have them. I feel your pain, they are the absolute worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I have gotten a couple in the last month and its always in the middle of the night. Then my leg hurts the next day. Horrible! I looked it up online and it happens in pregnant women if they are low in calcium. I don't know how I could possibly have low calcium with the amount of ice cream I eat, but I guess I better just step it up. You better eat some ice cream today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love where your head is! More ice cream it is :)

      I just heard it's a low potassium or something but I had a banana yesterday... so I'll eat 2 bananas today and DEFINITELY ice cream tonight!

      Also, yes, my leg still hurts right now. YUCK!

      Delete
    2. A banana split a day should keep those Charlie horses away!

      Delete
  3. Ugh, that stinks! I wake up with leg cramps a lot, it actually would happen to me every once in a while before pregnancy but now it's a lot more often. Last night I think it happened 3 or 4 times. It's gotten to the point where I can pretty much just stand up, stretch my legs and then lay back down and fall asleep, but they sure are annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOF - they definitely hurt ALOT - I've had them before (not during pregnancy) - sorry for the rude awakening this morning! (but CONGRATS on Vday!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH! I've had a few since getting pregnant, but I used to wake up to them all the time when we were dancing six days a week.

    ReplyDelete

You is kind. You is smart. And you is important.